History

HSA Group History: From Local To Global

The 1930’s: A Flourishing Family Enterprise

The flourishing economy of 1930’s Aden made the growing retail business a novel attraction to the young Al Saeed family members, each of them bringing their own skills to bear in expanding and diversifying the company.
At the age of 12, Ali, the son of eldest brother Mohamed, joined his uncle Hayel in the shop. Ali’s enthusiasm and passion was instrumental to the growth of the small family business during this period. Two years later, 13-year-old Saeed, son of Abdo, also joined the firm, followed a few years later by Cousin Ahmed, son of Hayel. Every one of these founders made their mark in helping the family business to succeed.

The 1950’s: The First Board of Directors

In 1952, Ali became a full partner in the business, succeeding his late father, and the company formed was named Hayel Saeed Anam & Co. – allowing Saeed, Ahmed and other family members who joined later to also become partners. Thus the first Board of Directors and shareholding body was formed, roughly 12 years after the business was formally established.

The 1960’s: Broadening Our Horizons

With years of struggle and hard work during the fifties and sixties, the retail shop in Aden developed first into a wholesale outlet, and then flourished to become an import and distribution operation -later exporting to the Northern Yemeni cities of Hodeida, Mocha then Taiz. As such, the reputation of Hayel Saeed Anam & Co also began to grow –locally, regionally and then internationally.
By 1968, the family trading business and agencies in Northern Yemen attracted investment capital to help establish a number of national companies –a move instrumental in growing the new economy of what was called North Yemen of the Republic of Yemen.
Immediately after the 1969 ‘Nationalization Decree’ in the South of Yemen, (affecting largely the core family business and assets), the Al Saeed family moved to Taiz in North Yemen, to establish a new headquarters.
Since then, Taiz has been the heart of the company - and from there the Grouphas diversified its manufacturing base, taking on more trading and distribution activities, and expanding into the service sectors of shipping, insurance, agriculture and banking. Thisthen was an era of modernisation, technical development and operational evolution.

The 1950’s: The First Board of Directors

In 1952, Ali became a full partner in the business, succeeding his late father, and the company formed was named Hayel Saeed Anam & Co. – allowing Saeed, Ahmed and other family members who joined later to also become partners. Thus the first Board of Directors and shareholding body was formed, roughly 12 years after the business was formally established.

The 1970’s: Evolving Into A Modern Multi-National

An adherence to our founders’ belief in corporate social responsibility was articulated in 1970, when the Hayel Saeed Anam & Co Charitable Foundation was formed. Still relatively early in the development of the business, it has become a strong and vibrant focal point for the values of our global family.
As the business continued to grow throughout the decades, young family members came back from studying abroad to join us and help lead the business forward. The more relatives became involved, the more the business expanded and flourished.
This was highlighted by ever-expandingindustrial activities, such as the openingof new manufacturing plants and the strategic investment in new projects - both on a local and international level. It is this growth philosophy that continues today,an ethos that has made us so successful in the modern global economy.

 

Click here to download our history

Related Links

HSAG Brands

Each of our brands has its own heritage and personality, but they all have one mission to acheive.